1/1 Photo of Authentic Mexican Tamale Pie
1 hr 5 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
We love tamales but they are such a pain to make so I came up with this recipe; its a combination of Corn, Cheese and Chili Tamales With Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa and Galley Wench's Spice-Sea Chili. I've made it with both masa harina and cornmeal, and prefer the cornmeal that has been ground very fine. Garnish the casserole with Cilantro Cream
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1/2 lb lean pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, divided
- 1 large fresh poblano pepper, diced
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 1 chipotle chile, in adobo seasoning (diced and seeded, adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (I use Hershey's Dark cocoa)
- 12 ounces beer, dark (or broth, (Use as needed)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 lime, juce of
- 8 -10 dried corn husks (optonal)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 large poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cornmeal or 2 cups masa harina
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup canned low sodium chicken broth or 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups baby frozen corn, thawed
- 1 3/4 cups packed coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1PREPARE CHILI:.
- 2In a large pot brown ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic, breaking meat into small pieces. Drain of excess grease.
- 3Add poblano pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1 cup beer and one can of black beans.
- 5Add ground cumin, chili powders, chipoltes, adobe sauce, oregeano, and cocoa.
- 6Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to a simmer and cook for 35 - 45 minutes, adding more beer or broth as needed (keep in mind that the mashed black beans will be added as a thickner).
- 7Drain the remaining can of beans and lightly mash.
- 8To thicken, add the crushed black beans and adjust spices and liquid as needed.
- 9Bring to a simmer again for 5 minutes; squeeze in juice of one lime before serving.
- 10TAMALE DOUGH:.
- 11Place corn husk in large bowl and fill with warm water.
- 12Weight husks down with saucer and soak until soft, about 2 hours.
- 13Char chilies directly over gas flame or under broiler until blackened on all sides.
- 14Place in medium bowls, cover tightly with plastic.
- 15Let stand 10 minutes.
- 16Peel, seed and chop chilies, set aside.
- 17To make dough:.
- 18If using cornmeal, place in food processor and process until fine, 3 or 4 minutes.
- 19In food processor, blend cornmeal/Masa Harina, butter, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt until coarse meal forms.
- 20Add broth and blend in (mixture will be crumbly).
- 21Transfer masa mixture to large bowl.
- 22In food processor blend 2 1/2 cups corn, 1 cup cheese, baking powder, black pepper and 1 1/4 teaspoon salt until coarse puree forms.
- 23Stir puree into masa mixture until blended.
- 24Add the rest of the corn (1 1/2 cups) to masa mixture.
- 26Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 27In using corn husk; Remove from water, pat dry and line 9 x 11 shallow dish, overlapping to avoid leakage.
- 28Spray corn husk or baking dish (if not using husk).
- 29Spread half of cornmeal mixture on the husk or bottom of the dish.
- 30Spread warm chili on top of the cornmeal.
- 31Sprinkle green chilies on top of the chili.
- 32Evenly spread the remaining cornmeal mixture on top.
- 33Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- 34Loosely cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- 35Remove foil and return to oven and bake additional 25 minuters or until the cornmeal is firm and the chili bubbly.
- 36Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- 37Serve with Cilantro Cream Cilantro Cream.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Mexican Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1040.3
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 143.7 mg
- Sodium 1731.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 47.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: