Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from my mother in law who is from Mexico. I love these. You can also add some chicken or steak if you like on top( i love cecina with it )..Delicious!!
- 1 package corn tortilla, authenic ones in the fridge section. i use on 3/4 of this package (the small 8 inch ones)
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot sauce (see my other recipe Chile de Arbol Hot Sauce)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups water (add more if needed)
- 1⁄2 large white onion (slice in circle)
- 1 package of oacoxa cheese
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- In a large frying pan pour 1-1/2 cups of oil. While it is warming up take about 3/4 of the package of tortillas and tear into thin strips. Once the oil is warm place the strips of tortillas in pan and fry until golden brown. Place them on the side on a plate. Repeat until tortillas are gone. Once you are there should only be a few tablespoons of it left in pan, leave it there and place all the fried tortillas back in pan. Add onion, water, salt & hotsauce to pan. Mix well, you want the tortillas to be soft you may need to add more water. Keep let simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionly. Then turn heat to low and tear cheese into small peices and place in pan and cover with lid. Let cheese melt and serve. You could add steak or chicken to the top if you would like.