Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I decided I was really craving this soup on Cinco de Mayo and thought I would try my hand at recreating it. There are so many different variations so this one is for my family's taste. It satisfied my craving.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs meatloaf mixture
- 1⁄2 cup instant minced onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground anaheim chili
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) bottleortega green taco sauce
- 1 cup baby carrots
- For the broth:.
- Combine the beef broth, tomatoes, parsley, onion, garlic powder, pepper, taco sauce and carrots. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- For the meatballs:.
- Mix together meatloaf mixture, dried minced onion, cumin, coriander, ground Anaheim chilies, brown rice, eggs, milk, cornmeal, and garlic. Roll in small size meatballs around an inch in diameter. Gently put into the simmering broth as they are done.
- Simmer the meatballs in the broth for 1-1/2 hours.
- We like to serve with homemade tortillas and fresh fruit salad.